So, you are washing the laundry and you hear a lot of noise coming out of your washing machine. It sounds like the house is falling apart but not really. However, you do realize that there’s something wrong with your washer.
Could it be the washer belt? Or something else?
One of the potential causes of a noisy washer is a faulty spin basket. If you hear that loud banging or rubbing during a cycle, there’s a good chance that you will need to replace the washer’s spin basket. If the spin tub also has spots of rust or any signs of chipping, you should really consider replacing it.
Today, we have another quick guide for you. For this article, we’ll outline the steps for replacing the spin basket in top load washer.
Steps for Replacing the Spin Basket in Top Load Washer
WARNING: As we always say with all our guides, please observe proper safety precautions because repairing home appliances can be very dangerous, lethal even. Please use the right tools and safety equipment that are mentioned in this guide.
Before starting with the repairs, we suggest that you read all the tips. If you are confident that you can perform the steps properly, you can proceed. Otherwise, it won’t hurt to call a qualified technician.
- Fits General Electric,Ge Washer/Dryer
- Genuine General Electric,GE OEM Part
- Replaces General Electric,GE Part Numbers:
Things You’ll Need:
- Spanner wrench
- Ratchet and socket set
- Slot screwdriver
- Safety gloves (should be worn before doing Step 1)
1. Cut off the power and water supply. Unplug the washer’s cord from the wall outlet. Turn off the water supply valves.
2. Tape the lid of the washer so it stays in place while you work with the washer.
3. From the back of the control console, remove the screws that secure the hinge brackets. Remove the wire cover and set it aside.
4. Slide the top panel forward and raise it a bit to release it from the brackets. Set aside the top panel on a safe place.
5. Next, you need to remove the tub ring. This is done by pulling the bottom of the tub ring and release it from the locking tabs. To make it easier to pry the ring, you may use a slot screwdriver. Remove the tub ring from the washing machine.
6. Using your slot screwdriver, remove the cap from the impeller. Insert the screwdriver into the base of the cap and pry it off. Set aside the cap.
7. You should see a bolt that secures the impeller which can be removed using a spanner wrench or socket. Once the bolt is loose, grab the impeller with both hands and remove it out of washer.
8. Next step is to remove the spanner nut. Do this by positioning the spanner wrench above the spanner nut. Make sure the wrench has engaged the notches of the nut. With a hammer, strike the arm of the wrench in order to loosen the nut. Turn the spanner nut until it’s loose and take it out of the washer.
9. Pull the wash basket up from the drum to remove it from the machine.
10. Get your new spin tub / basket and position directly on top of the shaft in the bottom tub. Ensure that the basket is securely seated on the shaft.
11. Now, you need to reinstall the spanner nut, impeller, and tub ring. Make sure that you reinstall them properly, exactly the way before you removed them.
12. Grab the top panel and lower it down carefully. Make sure to engage the brackets by pulling the panel forward a bit then pushing it back to lock it with the frame. Remove the tape from step 2.
13. Replace the screws for the top of the hinges at the back of the console. Make sure that the screws are tight. Reinstall the wire cover and the mounting screws from step 3.
14. Turn on the water supply and plug the machine into the outlet. Push back the washer to its initial location.
One Last Step
After replacing the spin basket in a top load washer, you will need to re-calibrate the washing machine. This is necessary after replacing a part or performing repairs because the unit might not fill the tub with the right amount of water or have unbalanced loads.
The folks at SearsPartsDirect has a handy guide on how to calibrate a washer after performing repairs. This works if you have a top-loading washer, especially if it’s a Kenmore or Whirlpool.
- Panda is Top Brand in Washing Machine /Dryer Category
- Provides various choices for your need with excellent quality and customer service
- Upgraded from XPB25-28A, does more functions, more efficient. Single tub washing machine with spin basket up to 10 minutes (wash) and 5 minutes (spin) with the control timer. Spin dry with the included basket helps to remove excess water
- XPB27 is up to 6Lbs capacity
- Ideal for small loads and delicates, such as underwears,socks,T-shirts,towels,etc.
And that’s about it!
Hopefully, this guide has helped you install your brand-new wash basket. If you have any questions about this guide, please don’t hesitate to take your inquiries through the comments section below. We’ll do our best to answer your questions.