One of the things that I love about modern washers is that it’s easy to diagnose if there are any lingering problems.
Any appliance owner can simply check the washer’s control panel and he or she will know exactly what’s wrong with the unit. This is because most GE models nowadays have a display panel that shows the fault code that pertains to a particular problem.
You will know the meaning of these codes by referring to the user manual that comes with the machine. Unfortunately, there are cases where the error codes are not published in the manual.
If you came to the site to fix the GE Profile front-load washer error code E38, know that you are in good hands. For this article, we’ll identify the error code E38 and present some potential solutions to the problem.
What is the GE Profile Front-Load Washer Error Code E38?
Basically, the error code E38 indicates that there might be some error with the washer’s dispenser. There’s a good chance that the dispenser can’t move into position. Before you can see this code, you should be able to hear the sound of the dispenser system as it shifts. If the dispenser stops making any sound, a repair or replacement might be in order.
- Item includes room of choice delivery, unboxing, item hook-up and free optional haul-away at checkout
- This white Kenmore Elite Smart 5.2 cu. ft. front-load washer is designed to fit up to 28 extra-large bath towels or an entire king-size bedding set in a single load. So now you can spend less time on laundry and more time on the stuff that matters with those who matter most.
- Control your Kenmore Smart washing machine with Alexa from almost any location. Through the app or with voice commands, you can customize your wash cycle, start a load, check washing status and monitor a maintenance schedule.
- Accela Wash technology combines ActiveSpray and ActiveRinse to get full size loads clean in about 29 minutes without compromising performance. Steam Treat lets you say goodbye to pre-treating common tough stains with the deep cleaning power of steam.
- The Sanitize Wash cycle gets in deep to eliminate 99.9% of certain bacteria without the use of chemicals like bleach. The Kids Wear cycle puts in additional wash actions and higher wash temperatures to tackle everyday soils and stains in your kids' dirty clothes.
A washing machine that can’t dispense detergents is about as useless as it can get. Fortunately, the fix for this problem is relatively easy that you can certainly do the repairs on your own – even if you’re not someone that can be considered as “handy.”
Below, we have outlined some solutions on how to fix a dispenser that just refuses to do its job of dispensing cleaning agents.
How to Fix Error Code E38?
The washer’s dispenser is designed to release detergent into the tub during a cycle. This part typically has two compartments which are for the main wash cycle and the prewash.
While you have managed to pinpoint that the problem lies with the dispenser (thanks to the display panel), there are numerous solutions for the E38 error code.
- Ensure that the dispenser is not clogged: Remove the entire dispenser by pulling it all the way out by pressing a small tab in the back. Clean all the residue from the dispenser by soaking it in hot water and brushing to clean it out. Check the chamber where the dispenser goes and make sure there are no detergent or softener buildups that might hinder the dispensing process. If there is a build up, use a toothbrush to clear out the gunk.
- Make sure that your detergent is not too thick: While this is quite unlikely, a thick detergent can clog the dispenser. Maybe the temperature is too cold that it turned the liquid to gel. If this is the case, dilute the detergent with a little water before washing.
- Use liquid detergent or softener: As much as possible, use liquid detergent and softener since the powdered type can clog up the washer’s dispenser.
- Ensure the dispenser cover is in the right place: The dispenser might not work as intended if the cover is not in place. If the dispenser cover is not properly placed, there’s the possibility that the washer will not be able to siphon the detergent or softener.
- Ensure that the washer is level: As a general rule, it is important that you position your machine at the right level. Otherwise, the detergent or softener might move to one side which prevents the washer from siphoning any of the liquid.
- Check for damaged parts: Unplug your washer and check the mechanism the links that are found on the dispenser housing. If you see any signs of damage or severe wear, you might need to purchase some dispenser assembly parts for replacement.
If the above solutions have failed to fix the problem, you might want to consider testing the solenoids. The washing machine’s dispense typically has solenoids valves behind that enable the dispenser to function properly.
So were you able to fix the GE Profile front-load washer error code E38 with the solutions that we have provided? Well, we certainly hope so.
A defective washer dispenser can be rather frustrating. Fortunately, the fixes are easy to perform and sometimes, all it takes for you is to clean the dispenser itself. Thus, it’s important that you don’t get behind your washer care and maintenance tasks.
What do you think of this washer repair guide? If you have questions, feel free to sound off in the comments.