Going Old School – Speed Queen AA5221WD

I had the opportunity the other day to help my neighbor with his dryer problem.  He has a matching Speed Queen washer and dryer pair manufactured in 1988.  If you are good at math, the machines are 24 years old.  The dryer would heat up at first, and then stop heating.  I gave my neighbor valve coils, and solved that problem. The following week, my neighbor’s washer started acting up.  The complaint was it wasn’t draining.  When I went over to take a look at it, it started draining again, but I noticed the black residue inside the washer along with a leaky pump.  (The black residue was from the main drive belt wearing down.)  I replaced the belt and the pump.  Now the washer is back in business again.  I wonder if this machine will last another 24 years?  Here are the details of the repair: To open up the cabinet, I first had to unscrew the to bottom screws shown in the picture below.  They are 5/16 hex head screws. Next, using a putty knife I depressed the two top tabs that hold the front panel on.

Obviously, the panel was already taken off, just pointing out where the tabs are.

As I opened up the cabinet, this is what I saw:

A massive amount of dust caused by a worn belt.


You can’t tell in the picture, but the pump was leaking water about where this arrow is.

To fix this, I had to replace the pump part number AP4041423 and the spin and agitate belt part number AP4035955.  I first removed the pump by removing all the hoses that went to the pump.  Then there are 3 screws that hold down the pump bracket.  I removed those, removed the pump and bracket, removed the pump from the bracket by unscrewing the 4 screws on the bottom of the bracket.  See pics:

Removing hoses


Removed these 4 screws and then mounted the new pump back to the bracket.

Before putting the new pump back in, I replaced the agitating and spin belt.  To remove the old belt you have to turn the larger pulley while working the belt off like you would a bike chain.  I put the new belt on using the same method as you would putting on the bike chain, reattached the pump belt, re-installed the pump and bracket and put the hoses back on.  After everything was reassembled, I tested for leads then put the front panel back on.  It’s as good as new.

About The Author